Sunday, April 02, 2006

Cold and Windy

Well, I certainly did not mean to have this long of a lapse in updating my posts…my goal was to update at least every weekend instead of every month, but we’ve been kinda busy of late. Matt came to visit the kids for just over a week, then I figured I’d get something posted during this past week...until I had a short-notice TDY to Iceland. So, in the spirit of keeping everyone updated, I figured I should start somewhere…again.
I found out late Monday afternoon that EUCOM was sending a delegation to Iceland on Wednesday for discussions with the Iceland government about how the US would provide for the defense of their country per our 1951 agreement with them while still closing NAS Keflavik by September. Since we were expecting hostile and ambush media after the talks, we wanted a PA to be part of our delegation to handle the situation and keep our general off-camera (Big-State and DOD needed to take the lead on talking with the media). The good news is that the discussions went as well as and better than expected, and the media wasn’t hostile or hounding us. After working with the embassy PA and the ambassador, we actually managed to keep our general away from the cameras other than the photo sprays before the discussions and filming/photos as we left. Plus, all the Icelandic media coverage has been neutral-to-positive about the talks, so that makes it a success in my book.

The downside is that I didn’t have much free time at all. A couple of us managed a quick stop by “The Pearl” after our embassy meetings on Thursday for some delicious ice cream (I couldn’t refuse that suggestion) and wonderful photos of Reykjavik. The Pearl sits atop a hill and overlooks the city. It’s part museum, part restaurant and part hot-water holding tanks. And it was definitely COLD and WINDY up there--the high that day was 36, with a wind chill of 18! Just as I was getting ready to welcome spring in Germany, I get thrown back into the bitter cold. This photo is taken from the observation platform there, with Mount Esja in the background--the name translates literally to "Easy Mountain" because it's less than a 1,000m hike (not climb) to the top…not that I’d aspire to hike it, especially in this weather!
The other thing I found interesting was all the lava fields. There were even houses built in the middle of them, right along the shoreline. Talk about beach-front property! No grass to mow, and no sand to sunbathe on. We also passed a golf course in the lava fields--definitely wouldn’t want to get off the green on that one!! Here's a glimpse of this golf course (greens are on the right)...
After the discussions Friday, we had to book it back to Keflavik to check out and hop aboard our sardine-can-sized C-21 for our return trip. Fortunately, we made good time and made it back to the Army Air Field before quiet hours began (aka when the airport closes) so we didn’t have to divert overnight. The kids were definitely glad to see me. Zachary and MacKenzie had made a sign welcoming me home and taped it on the wall just outside our door. Even though I was tired, it brought a huge grin to my face. When I went to pick up Benjamin Saturday morning, he was looking out the rooftop window calling out to me. When I got inside, he ran to me and gave me a huge, long hug...I don’t think he’s given me quite that big of a hug in a long time!

So, now we get back into our routine for one more week before taking off for Spring Break. Nana and Papa are coming to visit, and the kids are very excited about getting to see them. We’re not sure yet what exactly we’ll do while they’re here, but we’re looking forward to their visit nonetheless.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?