Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Halloween

Yes, yes, I realize we're closer to Halloween 2007 than we are to Halloween 2006, but, hey, better late than never.

The kids were excited about Halloween, and I was looking forward to Benjamin carrying on the tradition of wearing our Pooh Bear costume. He tried on the costume the day before Halloween, and was all set to head out as the chubby little cub all stuffed with fluff. However, when the big night arrived, he suddenly decided he didn’t want to be Pooh, but instead wanted to go as Blue from Blue’s Clues again. That sent me scrambling to find the Blue costume. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find Blue’s head (which probably would have been worn in decapitated style hanging off the back of Benjamin’s neck), the Velcro-clue or Blue’s notorious Handy-Dandy Notebook. Benjamin didn’t seem to mind that his costume wasn’t complete though, and excitedly headed out in grand style.

Zachary took a while to decide whether to venture out in search for candy this year or to stay home and pass out candy to visitors at our apartment building like he did last year. Since Carie was here TDY, she offered to distribute our candy so he could solicit some of his own…so out he trotted as Darth Vader. Unfortunately, he had to stop several times because his mask would fog up. He didn’t want to go headless like Benjamin did with Blue, so he kept battling the mask. I don’t think he had quite mastered his powers of the Force to overcome the fog, so he became more frustrated with each stop.

MacKenzie and I each dressed as traditional German dirndl girls with outfits we purchased in Munich a few days earlier. I figure the outfits are a perfect way to get into the German spirit, and will be something uniquely German we can take back to the states when we head back that way.


As always, the kids loaded up on the sweets and treats. Somehow, Benjamin seemed to accumulate the most candy…but not by much. His pumpkin was so laden down toward the end of the evening that I ended up carrying it for him…except when it was time to solicit more. They were all good about swapping fairly with each other for treasured and preferred sweets, and even gave me several decent pieces of candy. But, since I wasn’t in the midst of an operational exercise at work, I didn’t have to push to have them in bed like the previous year (when they were in bed by 8:30 p.m.!). They enjoyed having the extra time to sort through and sample their goodies.


I couldn’t pass up sharing this photo of Carie and me in our dirndls. I suppose this is our official “Airman magazine reunion” photo. Not bad having three such reunions in Europe in less than six months!

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?