Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Back to School

Zachary and MacKenzie started school yesterday, and both had good days. They both decided that they wanted me to drive them to school instead of taking the bus, and I obliged since it’s a new school in a new town. However, we did drive by the bus stop so they could see where to go this morning.

MacKenzie is now in the 5th grade (look how tall she is standing next to Zachary!) and said her teacher talked, and talked, and talked, and talked -- all day. It reminded me of listening to Lealane and Hannah compare notes about their first day of school in front of the classroom each year and how their voices are always tired by the end of the day. I’m sure MacKenzie’s teacher felt much the same!

Zachary is now in the 7th grade, and has what we both think is a great schedule. He’s in 8th grade math (pre-algebra), and I think he’ll do wonderfully with it. He also got two of his top electives: German and video production. I fully expect him to translate for us and be in charge of our video camera when we travel now. Apparently video production is one of the classes that’s highly coveted (read: FUN) but that many people don’t get because of class size limits. Woohoo!

After school, they walked together to the on-base youth center until I got off work. I don’t think they liked that as well as I had hoped (“boring,” had to buy their own snacks, “small,” etc). I asked them to give it a few days/weeks before deciding flat-out that they don’t like it. Cross your fingers!

When I picked them up, they both asked if I’d take them to Baskin Robbins for a first day of school treat (actually, they asked me first thing this morning too). I told them we’d drive by, and only stop if there was a parking spot. It wasn’t looking promising with the after-work traffic, but lo and behold, a parking spot opened up just before we drove past. They were excited!

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?