Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Wonderful Uncle!

I have an absolutely wonderful uncle. I couldn’t have asked for a better uncle than my Uncle Sam. He’s my mom’s younger brother, and I was born just a few months after he graduated high school. When I was young, I remember visiting my grandparents’ farm and running around the front yard while he -- playing the role of “Tickle Monster” -- chased my brother and me. He always seemed to catch us at some point and would tickle us unmercifully (well, it seemed so at the time -- he sure knew how to find all our tickle spots!), but we also got away a good bit of the time. It was good clean fun (and great exercise too)!

I remember for my third birthday, he gave me a green inchworm. I had so much fun riding that inchworm up and down the driveway!

As I got older, every now and then, David and I were able to spend the night with him and Aunt Gail. It was always a treat. We’d pull out the hideaway bed from the couch, get ready for bed, curl up under the covers with our cousins and watch TV until the wee hours of the night. I even remember watching the National Anthem play a few times indicating the end of programming before the TV screen went to static. Mom and Dad would NEVER let us stay up late enough to see the National Anthem play!

I also remember him and Aunt Gail taking David and me to see “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom” in the theater. They even bought us popcorn and soda! We rarely convinced our parents to buy popcorn and soda at the movies, so we were ecstatic! They had gone to see the movie already, so knew to take their girls to the lobby to buy popcorn during the scariest scene (I don’t remember if David went with them or not), but since I was 13 I was allowed to stay in the theater and watch it.

My first paying job -- other than babysitting -- was working in Uncle Sam’s pepper fields. He paid me $75 (and even had to report it to the IRS) for picking and sorting peppers. I was pleased to make the extra money, and (despite the South Georgia summer heat) enjoyed spending time with family in the field. I also topped tobacco in his fields one summer. That was awful work since we had to wear long sleeves in the South Georgia heat to protect us from the sticky sap that oozed from the plants when we broke off the flower clusters from the tops. The job was even more unenjoyable since I had to reach above my head to top most of the plants -- boy did my arms get tired! Fortunately (?), I never had to help harvest the tobacco -- either I was too young (so I stayed back at the house and helped Granny Walker prepare the meals for when they finished for the day) or we weren’t visiting when it was harvest time. A part of me wanted to help on the harvester, but I know it was miserable and back-breaking work so was thankful that I didn't have to.



Since my parents lived in Colorado and Texas while I was in college in South Georgia, I’d go to my grandparents’ farm for the weekends since they were just over an hours' drive away. Sometimes I’d get to steal away a bit with Uncle Sam (of course, after I’d started my laundry and worked on homework a bit). Everywhere we went together, whether it was to a fall festival downtown, making a house call on extended family or to the Dairy Queen for a mid-afternoon treat, I always felt special when with Uncle Sam. He knows just about everyone in town (and the other nearby towns as well!), and he always proudly introduced me to everyone we ran into while we were out and about. I’ve never heard a bad word spoken about him, which makes me doubly proud to be his niece. Even to this day when I travel back to my mom’s hometown, all I have to is mention that he’s my uncle and everyone knows who he is and shares a kind word about him.





Now he’s carrying on that same tradition with my own kids. He gladly takes them for rides in his John Deere tractor (they all look forward to that every time we head to the farm) and steals them away for jaunts into town. Zachary once asked for 20 pieces of chicken at KFC -- he was thinking nuggets instead of PIECES! Uncle Sam also talked to Zachary about college and the Hope Scholarship -- now Zachary has his mind made up that he’s going to move in with Uncle Sam and Aunt Gail so he can graduate high school in Georgia and go to Georgia Tech on the Hope Scholarship!

Thanks for all the wonderful memories, Uncle Sam (aka “Tickle Monster”). I couldn’t have asked for a more kind, generous and loving uncle than you -- I’ve truly been blessed to have you in my life! Happy 57th birthday. May you be blessed with many more! I love you!!

Labels: ,


Comments:
Pam, Sam, Paul Hall, and I were born only three months apart. When I think back on all the wonderful memories of growing up in the Winn Family, many of those thoughts go back to your Uncl Sam and Cousin Paul.

I was "taking off" tobacca with Aunt Dell, your Granny Walker, one day in the old brown house when she told me how Samuel got his name. Having lost Uncle David, she named Sam "Samuel" because he truly was "PROMISED OF GOD."

Some of my earliest memories were of us playing in the yard of that old brown house. I can remember vividly us playing with his Beagle puppies. As we aged and Uncle D and Aunt Dell had the chicken houses, we had to work when the houses were cleared and extra chickens were left behind (not a job either of us really liked).

Sam was also a magnet for me to talk to all the goodlooking Blackshear boys too! Being from Patterson, I could be with him and get to talk to any of them we ran into! We would go to the dances at the Jr. Woman's Club and have a ball!

Sam was a Charle Brown fan in the biggest way. When Charlie's era was coming to an end, I had to call Sam to give him my sympathy. We were both adults in our 50's!

There are so many memories I can't put them all here. Maybe all of us cousins should write our own blogs about each other... But, your Uncle Sam and my Cousin Sam holds a very special place in my heart too.
Love you Sam to infinity and beyond.
 
Pam-

What I wondeful tribute to Daddy! I love hearing memories of Daddy from other people! I"ll tell you, growing up on the farm and having to sucker & harvest tobacco, pick peppers, pick pecans, and the many other things we did, provided so many wonderful experiences & memories for me for which I am eternally grateful. Daddy is so proud of you and the kids and it thrilled to introduce you wherever he goes. I am so glad to have him as my Daddy.

Also, I never realized how much little Sam looks like Daddy until looking at some of these pictures.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?