Saturday, September 11, 2010

Maid of the Mist

One thing I remember well from my first visit to Niagara Falls (when I was in high school) was taking the Maid of the Mist boat tour. I remember enjoying it then, so I suspected that my kids would enjoy the experience themselves.

After donning blue rain coats and boarding the boat, we set off toward the falls. This shot was taken from the observation deck from the Canadian side shortly before we boarded.

We passed the American Falls and the Bridal Veil Falls en route to Horseshoe Falls. This is definitely NOT where daredevils would go over the falls. With all those rocks at the bottom, there’s no way anyone could survive. It was still pretty to see nature’s raw majesty up close.

The closer we got to the falls, the more the wind wreaked havoc with our hair -- well, MacKenzie’s and mine.

To the right of the Bridal Veil Falls you can see the Cave of the Winds platform (more to come on that adventure in a future post!).

Benjamin tried staying dry by keeping his hood up. It seemed to help.

Zachary was still being ornery and only reluctantly put his raincoat on as we neared the Horseshoe Falls...but opted to not use the hood. Fortunately, his hair doesn’t get matted and tangled from misty water.

MacKenzie, on the other hand, pulled her hood as snug as possible hoping it would help keep the mist and water away from her hair (and clothes).

Yes, Zachary’s glaring at me because I made him keep his raincoat on when the boat entered the Maid of the Mist Pool near the base of the Horseshoe Falls.

There was so much mist that it was very difficult to see the center of the falls. The left side is nearer to the American Terrrapin Point.

The right side is the Canadian side, near the Journey Behind the Falls observation deck.

Yes, Zachary, one more photo of all three of you before you’re allowed to take off the raincoat. Geez!

I’d say the mist did a number on MacKenzie’s hair, and Benjamin got a little wet from the experience. Zachary just ran his hand over his hair a few times and it seemed dry. The benefit of having short hair.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments:
Just curious- how did your camera do w/ all that water around?
 
The camera fared pretty well--the lense didn't even fog up on the inside. I'm always cautious to protect/cover the important parts as best I can when near water, and don't change lenses when it's that wet. Check out my "Cave of the Winds" post (coming Monday) when I actually talk about an extra precaution I took with my camera there -- much needed!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?