Tuesday, May 27, 2008

88 Years Young!

Happy Birthday Granny Walker!

Dell Winn was the seventh child of 16, and the fifth daughter, growing up on a farm in South Georgia. I once asked her what it was like growing up during the Depression, to which she said the Depression didn’t affect them much since they were farmers and grew most of their own food and didn’t have to buy much.

She worked at a drug store before meeting my grandfather, and seemed to have a stubborn streak all her life (I must get my stubbornness honestly! -- smile).

She always made a point of visiting us wherever the Air Force sent us -- from California and Texas to Pennsylvania to Washington D.C. We also would trek back to Granny and Grandpa’s house on the farm each summer. When we’d visit, she would always cook fried chicken and homemade french fries (the best in the world straight from her black cast-iron skillet).

One summer, I went out to feed the chickens in the coop by her house, and one of the roosters jumped out and started chasing me around the yard, pecking at my legs. Granny Walker came to my rescue, swatting a broom at him to get him to back off. When we returned home after that weekend visit, she called to let us know she had made “rooster-and-dumplings” for supper. Unfortunately, there were two roosters in the coop, and she didn’t know which one had attacked me...so they both were supper that night! Guilt by association for that second one!

She and my Aunt Mildred used to make birthday and wedding cakes as a side business. They were the best ever! I remember her making a stand-up doll and a family of panda bears, among others, for some of my birthday parties. When she and my aunt worked on wedding cakes, they’d let me decorate a plate with frosting so I could be right beside them. They didn’t complain too much when I sampled the frosting either (except when I got into the flowers that were going to be the finishing touches).

When I was in college, my parents moved to Colorado and Texas, so when I went “home” on the weekends, it was to the farm. She’d always help me do my laundry, and we’d work side-by-side hanging my clothes on the line to dry. It was great having that one-on-one time with her.

I have lots of fond memories of my grandmother, but above all, I love the way her eyes twinkle when she laughs.

Can’t wait to see you this summer!

I love you Granny!

Labels:


Comments:
This blog was really great! Talked to Sam tonight & he was most impressed.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?