Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Three Little Shadows

Back in February, Ramstein-area schools held a “Shadow Day” and allowed their students to shadow a parent at work. MacKenzie kept asking about coming to work with me, and Zachary mentioned it a time or two. However, I was hesitant since I rally just sit at a desk and work at a computer all day -- save for a few meetings every now and then. However, when the base paper listed a schedule of activities at high-interest job sites, I reconsidered bringing them in. At the last minute, Benjamin caught on ...so I couldn’t leave him out.

We started the day with a photo and question-and-answer session with the USAFE commander (for you non-military types, he’s the 4-star general in charge of all Air Force units in Europe -- my “big” boss). Each of the kids was allowed to sit in Gen. Brady’s chair while wearing his flight cap. Notice the four stars?



Gen. and Mrs. Brady spoke to the kids before taking their questions. Notice how enthused my three look? MacKenzie’s taking his photo, Zachary’s yawning, and Benjamin’s telling me something rather than sitting quietly in my lap. However, I must give Zachary credit for asking a decent question (rather than the “What’s your favorite ______?” questions many other kids asked). He asked Gen. Brady if he always wanted to be a pilot. His answer: “no.” I don’t recall what he said his exact aspirations were when he was younger though.

Here’s one of the photos MacKenzie took of Gen Brady.

After our indoor session, I gave them the choice of either visiting the military working dogs or the fire station. They chose the dogs. We were able to walk through their kennel then watch a demonstration of a dog helping to capture and apprehend a “suspect.” It was trying to rain while we were there, so I don’t think they enjoyed it as much as they would have had the weather been nicer.

MacKenzie had to write a report on what I do (even though she didn’t get to see much of me “in action” that day (although they’ve certainly spent time with me at work over the years), while her brothers weren’t held to as high of standards. I think they all enjoyed spending half a day with me -- including doner kepabs and pizza for lunch.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Great photos! I never did bring my daughter to "shadow" day when she was younger. But I did make her play the violin for my residents at the retirement community when I was the administrator. She never wanted to come again!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?