Thursday, April 26, 2007

Strasbourg

I know I’m way, way late with getting this update posted. Yes, our trip to Strasbourg was six months ago. Yes, we’ve gone on many more trips since then. Yes, we have more trips planned now that the weather has turned nice again. Yes, I hope to get updates from some of the older trips posted without too much more delay. Yes, knowing our schedule, it may take a while still. So, let’s get started before this update becomes even older. Please be patient...I’ll get everything posted...eventually.


Back in October and November, a good friend and former co-worker of mine came out here TDY for a few weeks...and worked in my office (my ops office, not my PA office). Carie wanted to make the most of her weeks in Germany to travel and explore, so we teamed up and added a few more locations to our repertoire. Within a week of her arrival, we were off to France.


XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Strasbourg is the capital of the Alsace region of northeastern France. Located close to the border with Germany, it is the capital of the Bas-Rhein department. The city's Germanic name means "town (at the crossing) of roads." Strasbourg's European character is rooted in its long history. We started our visit by heading to the Strasbourg Cathedral, which was built between 1284 and 1439. The cathedral's central spire towers 465 feet into the air and depicts the Last Judgment. It was the tallest building in the world from 1625 to 1847 and the tallest church in the world until 1880. It was absolutely gorgeous inside. I especially liked the pipe organ and stained glass windows. Unfortunately, they were getting ready for a service, and shooed us out before I really felt done enjoying the beauty. French rudeness even showed through with a barrage of pestering, almost to the point of yelling at me to leave, as I paused ever-so-briefly to snap off a few final photos.


After Carie and I looked over our maps a few times, Benjamin decided he’d take over navigation duties and did a fairly decent job helping us move around the city.

As we left the enchanting old quarter of “La Petite France," we paused long enough for a quick lunch before continuing on our exploration. The half-timbered houses overlooking the Ill River were just like out of a painting of years gone by, with colorful flower boxes and ivy growing up the sides.


After a while, we opted to take a river tour. The tour came complete with headsets to tell us about the more notable locations while floating on the Ill River as it wound its way around the city and encircled the center of town, a large part of which is for pedestrians only. We even rode through two different locks that raised and lowered our boat to adjust to the different river heights. Benjamin thought it was neat as the wall beside the boat grew and shrank!


The Saint Paul Church was especially majestic from the river -- front and side views.




Strasbourg is a former free city of the Holy Roman Empire, and is now a capital of Europe and the world. Like New York and Geneva, it has the distinction of being home to major international organizations without being a national capital. Among other things, Strasbourg is also an important landmark for the entire European continent as this is where the Council of Europe was founded in 1949; its members include all the democratic states of the Old Continent. The building above houses the European Parliament.

Not sure what this building below is since I lost my notes from this trip -- frustrating, but beautiful nonetheless!


Unfortnately, French rudeness showed through once again, this time when when we took a few minutes to ride a carousel. I told the attendant the four of us would ride, but she only charged me for the three tickets. When we took our seats, Benjamin wanted to sit on a cushion seat next to Zachary instead of on a horse, so I hopped on a horse next to MacKenzie. Apparently, since I wasn’t standing next to Benjamin while he was on a horse, my ride wasn’t free...so another attendant came up to me -- during the ride -- demanding that I pay for myself. So, I spent half the ride fumbling for change to pay for one more ticket. Of course, the language barrier didn’t help, but I wasn’t impressed that they wouldn’t let me at least enjoy the ride free of disturbances, and approach me as it ended. But, at least the kids enjoyed the ride.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?