Thursday, July 26, 2007

Farm Fun

When we head to Blackshear, it’s usually the only time each year I get to catch up with my larger family. It rejuvenates me to be there on the farm and take things slow. Hats off to my Aunt Gail, who made a huge batch of boiled peanuts and delivered them less than an hour before we arrived. There’s nothing better than boiled peanuts so warm you have to roll them in your hands to cool them off before cracking them open! Even after being dog-tired after 19 hours of travel (door-to-door), I had to partake of the southern delicacy! Zachary and MacKenzie even jumped right in, vying for their own picks out of the bowl. Benjamin doesn’t care for them (yet), but we didn’t mind...that left more for us!

The next day, we were coherent enough to begin catching up with everyone. Here’s MacKenzie with my niece Rachel. My how she’s grown since I saw her last year!

Papa enjoyed playing “horsie” with Benjamin and Rachel. They had so much fun that they wore out the horsie and he had to call it quits. But, isn’t that what grandfathers are for?


Rachel was indoctrinated to the tradition of taking a bath in Granny’s large kitchen sink -- and absolutely loved it! I actually remember taking a bath there many, many years ago. Makes me wonder how old I was when I outgrew the sink!

Quincy drove out to see everyone one day, and Benjamin and MacKenzie took right to her.

Benjamin loved sitting down at the piano and pounding out a few “tunes.” Good thing he was in the living room so we could put a little distance between us and the music and allow him some time to enjoy his own personal melodies.

Zachary took the Red Cross Babysitters Course last month, and is now certified in Child & Infant CPR. He asked me before we headed to Georgia if he could babysit Ava and Olivia while we were there. I didn’t think he’d have an opportunity to do so officially, but he definitely took any opportunity he cound find to hold them. Ava enjoyed looking for the dog through the windows with him.


Zachary also beamed at the chance to give Olivia a bottle. Both girls warmed up to him without any fuss. He does seem to have a way with little kids.

Uncle Sam got a kick out of Ava’s persistent begging for his cake. Being the proud and accommodating grandfather that he is, he couldn’t resist her pleas. Hannah wasn’t pleased with his accommodating style, and after about a half dozen extra bites, he reluctantly quit.

Mom, Hannah and Ava took a rest at the end of the evening. I think Hannah and Mom look a lot alike...almost like Hannah could be her daughter instead of her niece!


I couldn’t help including these mother-daughter photos. Lealane and Olivia above, and Hannah and Ava to the left.

Cassie drove down from near Atlanta the night before we left so we were able to see her for a few minutes. MacKenzie was excited to see her, even at that late hour.

Before we knew it, our visit came to an end. It seemed to fly by too quickly this year. Here’s our annual photo of Nana waking down the dirt road with the kids. It really is nice out there among the pine trees, corn fields, split-rail fence and peaceful quietness. It definitely rejuvenates my spirit.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
That's a cute picture of Rachel in the sink. I remember being on one side of the sink and Hannah being on the other taking a bath. Too funny!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?